Chef Ian Thurwachter from Intero restaurant in our hometown of Austin, Texas is known for some of the best Italian food in the city. Here, Ian shows us some simple techniques that can greatly improve the flavor of your squash and other vegetables at home.
Featured items: Made In 8 Inch Chef Knife, Made In Frying Pan
Steps for Pan Roasting Squash:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the top and bottom of your squash. These areas are a bit hard and not the best-tasting part of the squash.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise down the center.
- Gentle, with the tip of your Made In 8″ Chef Knife, score the squash with shallow cuts across its inside. This will allow our seasoning to get a bit further into the squash.
- Bend the squash backward to open up the scores that you just made, and season it with salt.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Blot any moisture that comes to the surface.
yourMade In Frying Pan with oil over medium heat until the oil starts to shimmer (about 2 minutes). If the oil is smoking your pan is too hot.
- Once hot, place the squash cut-side down and press it into the pan. Squash can be irregularly shaped, so pressing it into the
helpsensure contact with the surface. Leave it caramelizing for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer your frying pan to the oven and let it roast for about 10 minutes.